Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Time To Get Your Jingle On


I don't really know what it means to "get your jingle on", but I saw it on a Christmas box, so it must have some kind of meaning. It actually sounds kind of perverted when you say a couple of times, and really emphasize "jingle" with a creepy seducer-type voice.

When I think about what "get your jingle on" really means, I think about those crazed Christmas types who annoyingly spout out holiday cliches ad naseum to anyone who unfortunately gets within earshot. You know the type I'm referring to. That co-worker that can't shut up about the fact that they're "really excited that Christmas is coming", and they drive home that point every damn day, as if you didn't hear them the first time they said it on November 1. Or that friend that keeps reminding you that they "can't stop baking!", like that's some kind of holiday accomplishment. The most annoying for me are the folks who really take "get your jingle on" to heart. They're the ones who absolutely MUST play Christmas music all the time as soon as December rolls around. No other music - enjoying as it may be the rest of the year - can even be considered worthy to be played. That would upset baby Jesus or baby Santa, or something. They give the excuse that constant playing "puts them in the mood", or some other bullshit. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm against seasonal music, just not ALL THE FUCKING TIME for four weeks.

The problem I do have with Christmas music, is that it never changes. The same songs have been played for what, 100 years or something? Sure, some people will argue that the songs might be the same, but because there's different versions, it's still awesome to sit back, listen to your favourite songs and dream about what presents you're going to get. My problem is this: just because there's a million different variations, covers or versions of a shitty Christmas song, it's still a shitty Christmas song.

Hey, I'm not completely against holiday music, I just prefer it in limited amounts, like only being played on Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day. Not before, and certainly not after (that's just stupid). Here's a few examples of cool songs that I'll be listening to tonight.

All ranting aside, I'd truly like to wish everyone around the world a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukkah, a Happy Kwanzaa and a Happy New Year! Now, who wants a drink?

Christmas in Hollis - Run DMC


Let Me Sleep - Pearl Jam


Blue Christmas - Elvis Presley


The Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)


The Kinks - Father Christmas

No comments: