Sunday, April 08, 2007

A Funk Retrospective: Curtis Mayfield

Welcome to the funk.

And the soul, and the rhythm and an awesome kung-fu blues sound that has been iconic, influential and legendary.

I don't think I've come across a more versatile artist like Curtis Mayfield. He taught himself the intricate nature of his art, from guitar play, to style and lyricism, to showmanship. And he is the truth. The Truth.

I first came across Curtis via a friend of mine back in 1998. He had made up a mix tape of various artists that I really hadn't heard much of, or didn't know at all. Being a plucky young 17 year-old, what I didn't know filled a fairly large volume. Like 'War And Peace', Extended Edition. Some of the musical treats included Herbie Hancock, Frank Zappa, and Curtis Mayfield. My friend had done me a massive favour by placing Curtis on the tape. To make good matters even better, he put on "Move On Up", from Curtis' eponymous-titled 1970 debut album. That nine-minute opus was my initiation into the true soul sound, the real funk.

That mix tape opened my ears and mind up to a new world, a world that extended past the musical staples of Albertan caucasian suburbia, notably Metallica, AC/DC, and other loud thrashes normally associated with adolescent young men. It was the transition into a new frame of mind, the molting of my juvenile musical coat.

Curtis passed away in 1999, but he'll be remembered forever as a musical visionary, a fervent advocate of social justice and a voice for social consciousness and African-American culture and values. He could effortlessly play the pimp, but seamlessly transition to the voice of reason and rationality. He will be revered for his "black psychedelia", his unique brand of music and vision.

Here's a few of my favourite tracks from Curtis Mayfield. Enjoy!

"Superfly", from the motion picture soundtrack for Superfly (1972)




"Pusherman", also from the motion picture soundtrack for Superfly (1972)


"We Got To Have Peace", from the album Roots (1971)

No comments: