Monday, July 02, 2007

"Canadaaaaaa! Wooooooo!


Red and white colours splash the streets and business fronts. The hot July night is thick and sticky, with the combined smell of alcohol and sweat permeating every intersection.

As I walk the strip, I am greeted by throngs of revelers, each proclaiming their allegiance to our great nation, some while standing, some walking, some trying a combinaton of both. And some are just trying to stay vertical for a few more minutes, so they can find a suitable place to throw up.

Ahead of me, I hear a very heartfelt and endearing cry from some random Whyte Ave drunkard. His declaration encapsulates all that's great about our nation's birthday. You my friend, are this country's greatest living hero. And yes, I will give you a high-five. The most patriotic high-five I can muster. "Woo" is right sir, "woo" is right.

Another Canada Day has come and gone, like so much of the beer and liquor consumed by me and countless others. We drank, we sang, we stumbled back to our domiciles, happy in the fact that we survived yet another celebration of freedom. We drink, and yell and see live music because we can. I am extremely proud of this nation and our wide variety of confection items, and to that, I will drink every Canada Day, and really celebrate what makes this nation the tops in the world. Nay, tops in the fucking universe.

Have a great July 2 everyone!

No comments: