Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Tyler's Best Things Of 2007

It's January, so it's about time that we look toward the future, all shiny and new it is. A new year ahead of us, full of mystery and wonder. It's exciting, no? What's even more exciting than that? Bending an eye and focusing an ear to the year gone by, reminiscing about the things that made us giddy, wide-eyed, sometimes inebriated, dizzy with anticipation, but most of all, just happy to be fucking alive!

Here's a list of things I thought were a boatload of awesome in 2007:

BEST FILM:
Grindhouse
Everyone's going to have their favourites, and I have to say that this was one of my most anticipated films of the year, and reigns king as my favourite. A double-feature of pure celluloid grime, sleaze and crazy-ass action that recall both filmmakers' (Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino) favorite exploitation films. A must see together, and with the faux-trailers attached, a movie going experience was created that I'll never forget. I mean, who could forget "Hobo With A Shotgun"?




Best Film Honorable Mentions: 300, Transformers, Knocked Up, Superbad, Hot Fuzz, Smokin' Aces, Juno, The Diving Bell and The Butterfly

BEST ALBUM:
"Neon Bible" by The Arcade Fire

The independent Canadian darlings struck gold a second time, avoiding the sophomore jinx by releasing "Bible", a sonic explosion of sometimes political, sometimes prophetic anthems that one might find Springsteen creating. It spent the most time assaulting my ears this past year, and it gets due credit here. Speaking of The Boss, how can this not be the most awesome musical moment of the past year?




Best Album Honorable Mention: "Because Of The Times" by Kings Of Leon, "Ashtray Rock" by Joel Plaskett Emergency, "Buffalo Of Love" by Kill The Lights, "In Rainbows" by Radiohead, "Touch Up" by Mother Mother

Best Concert: The White Stripes (June 30, Shaw Conference Centre)

There are some concerts that you've waited years and years to see, and there's this one. I had been waiting six years to see the White Stripes in concert, and when they announced that they'd be touring Canada (and ALL of Canada, mind you - a very classy move), I just about had an aneurysm. I can say safely and without hyperbole, that the show was incredible times infinity. Here's a clip:



Best Concert Honorable Mentions: The Golden Dogs (July 19, Velvet Underground), DJ Champion (June 23, Starlite Room), DJ Mike Relm (solo - June 14, Rumours Night Club, Niagara Falls), Michael Franti and The Spearheads (August 5, Edmonton Folk Fest)

**More Best Everythings Continue Next Post!**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the White Stripes. Kick ass. Well, not so much for us short people, but still. I have a pretty good imagination.
You know I had tears in my eyes because I couldn't find you. I think I'm off to the left somewhere in your video clip.