Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Best Written Article You'll Read This Week

Sadly, no, I didn't write it. I had a rant all revved up and ready to go on the subject, but alas, I'm not one to put down mediocre stakes on land someone's already put down much better stakes. Random metaphors aside, I was going to weigh in on the current Miley Cyrus witch trial, because a) I watch too much TV, and b) because I had nothing better to write about other than a salacious picture of a 15 year-old. I can't tell which is more pathetic. No wait, I can.

But I won't. Instead, I'll leave you to read this article by "STV" on Defamer.com.

It sums up exactly what I've been thinking and getting sick and tired of, which is the hypocrisy of the apparent "general public consensus" and all the constant "outrage du jour" that infests some media outlets (Nancy Grace - just calm the fuck down!).

Highlights:

"This isn't about Miley Cyrus without a shirt on or if she's been seen somewhere in her lingerie, or if her father dropped the ball. It's simpler than any of that; this whole thing comes down to picture of a 15-year-old looking like she just got the shit fucked out of her. And if there's anything America loves more than a war, it's teenagers fucking."

"Also, teenagers fucking is a billion-dollar industry. Juno, for example, would not have been a lucrative, laureled darling of both the Christian right and the hipster left had she and Paulie Bleeker not A) fucked and B) kept the baby they conceived. Superbad was a more pointed argument for the appeal of teenagers not only fucking, but fucking well."

Well put.

**UPDATE**

Yeah, Disney sucks. Damn hypocrites.

No comments: