Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Truth Does Make A Noise


And The White Stripes are the truth.

You know what I'm talking about if you've seen them live. Thankfully, pretty much all of Canada has, thanks to special tour two years ago.

Continuing with a little more news involving Jack White, I've come across another wonderfully exciting story today. It's been reported that the Stripes are going to be releasing a documentary film about the cross-Canada tour they did in June and July of '07. This makes my mind melt. In a good way, though. Like the way cheese slowly melts on a perfectly barbecued burger. Or when you let your favourite popsicle get soft and drip just a tiny bit before you eat it. My mind has melted because this news gives me the chance to watch and own a concert that was 6 years worth waiting for. A concert that was the celebration of musical talents I dreamed of seeing. Yearned to see. A concert I was often heard to remark that I'd "fucking die to see". And it happened on June 30, 2007.

I had picked up The White Stripes third album, "White Blood Cells" in the spring of 2002 in a shitty CD store in mall near my home (for anyone familiar with St. Albert, remember "AV Entertainment"? Yeah, it sucked). I had recently seen the absolutely mesmerizing video for "Fell In Love With A Girl", directed by Michel Gondry, and needed to have whatever album that song came from. Lego had never gotten me so excited. For the whole summer of 2002, I played that disc, and the preceding two albums relentlessly. I couldn't believe how much raw power came from a band with only two members. As the years went on, the Stripes became one of my favourite bands, a band that I would use songs by to represent my own emotions, thoughts and other things I thought would be better expressed by the howling blues-symphony the band created. And then one spring, in April of 2007, the Stripes announced that they would be touring Canada. And not just Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. But the whole damn country. Every province. Every territory. No Canadian act had ever done it, so they'd be the first of any nationality to accomplish the feat. I had to check the tour schedule, and I wasn't to be disappointed. There it was: "Edmonton - June, 30. Shaw Conference Centre".

Alright, maybe a little hint of disappointment was felt. I mean, a band as great as this, playing in a cave-like auditory graveyard like the Shaw? Granted, Rexall Place would be too artificial and unfriendly, and no promoter would let them play a small venue. I had to really look at the big picture. I mean, the fucking White Stripes were going to be playing Edmonton! When the tour actually started, you could feel that it was going to be something special. Right from the onset, rumours of secret shows started to surface. Then those rumours became fact. The Stripes played on busses, boats, in parks, anywhere. You didn't know where they might play, but there were hints on their message boards. In Edmonton, they played at the Hope Mission's youth shelter, which can be seen in the video here:


And word was coming out that the main shows were becoming legendary experiences. As for my own experience at the Edmonton show, it was marred a bit by my misguided need to witness it with somebody specific who was also at the show. A certain person who has been both the utmost desire and cruel bane of my existence for many years, and only recently whose memory I've now shed from my mind. I kept on trying to look for this person, with whom I could share the wondrous experience, but I never found her. Instead of concentrating on the music, my attention was divided. I'll now never forgive myself for that. This documentary will allow me to at least re-live some of that concert in the way it should have been viewed: by me and for me.

The documentary will show the White Stripes as they are: the truth. And that truth will make an substantial noise.

No comments: