Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday

I sit at my desk, peering out into the atrium two stories below, wondering if somehow the clock found a way to reverse itself. It seems like it’s only been a matter of minutes for hours now. The end of the day is so achingly close to being here. The end of another work week is almost ready to announce its arrival, and it could not come a moment too soon. I'm dying a slow death inside, because I want it so much. I need it.

Friday. It can’t get here fast enough. I almost want to scream out in irritated frustration. Why can’t I go now? Why can’t I run out of this building and caress Friday the way I want to, with such willful abandon and unbridled emotion that it would make all other days enraged with jealousy? Why can't I make Friday love me? The questions swirl and stir in my mind, repeating themselves louder and louder with each passing minute. I try to maintain calm as I remind myself that I have a very special task ahead.

I switch my glance away from the atrium and prompt my creative centres of my mind to get working on the duty at hand: seducing Friday night. A task very few have tried to undertake, and even fewer have succeeded in doing. I think about my plan; solid, but not too rigid. Free to flow, free to improvise. Friday and I will spend some quality time getting to know one another initially. Perhaps in some dimly-lit corner of a local tavern. Perhaps by the window of a trendy coffee shop. We'll start with some small talk about the towns we grew up in. Where we first went to school. Our best friends growing up. We’ll chat about our various hobbies, what we like to do when we have the time, what we’d love to do, if we had the time. Perhaps a well-placed joke, an engaging anecdote. It will get more and more casual as the time progresses, I’ll make sure of that. I don’t want to seem to anxious, but I don’t want to appear aloof, uncaring. I want to show just the right amount of interest to Friday, but I don’t want it to feel like I’m some love-struck geekboy, only wanting to see what Friday has underneath its irresistible exterior. I can see Friday now. It's curvaceous form, its unbridled sensuality. Of all the days, Friday knows it's the one most coveted, most thought over, most desired.

Our conversation will inevitably dance around topics such as past or present loves. When this happens, I'll begin to become a bit more cynical, bitter, showing a vulnerable side Friday won't resist in prying for more information. I'll reluctantly reveal some heartfelt feelings to Friday, but not in any obvious way, but with an air of nonchalance, which may pique Friday's curiosity. It'll start to wonder if there is more to me than this masculine shroud I wear, more to me than my flippant descriptions of those who have made my heart seem cold. When this happens, my plan will come to its zenith. Friday will be drawn in with thoughts of a man whose mystery and vulnerability may frighten it initially, but its fear will be replaced with an urge to get to know me more. Get to know the real man inside.

And with that, my plan will have almost succeeded. By tonight's end Friday will know that it's the one day I can't live without. It's the day I won't live without.

The only way my plan can fail is if Friday finds out about Saturday. It's not my fault that Saturday turned the tables on me, but Saturday could captivate anyone with it's beguiling charms. I know I'm weak. If my plan with Friday doesn't work out, I will crawl back to Saturday. Saturday is hot, though.

You won't say a word, will you?

No comments: