Friday, July 17, 2009

TV Intros That Are Cooler Than You

Last week, I wrote a post that very few people understood (my mother, for one) because it dealt with the personification of a non-sentient entity, namely the day known as Friday. Admittedly, I was kind of bored at work on an otherwise uneventful afternoon, so I decided to write something a little different. Big deal, is what I thought at the time. But I suppose that's not keeping with the original theme of this blog, which celebrated it's third anniversary last Saturday! Yay! What turned out to be a simple excuse to avoid doing any work, while actually looking like I'm during work, has made it to three years. Strange how the initial reason for starting this has stayed the same... Anyways, I'd like to bring this blog back to form. Back to it's roots. And that means talking about meaningless pop-culture banalities.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I decided to move to my parent's house a few months ago as a means to save money while I'm preparing to go back to school, and stay there while in school for the next couple years. This hasn't been as soul-crushingly terrible as I originally envisioned it, but rather, it's actually been fairly tolerable. Probably because my parents are fairly cool, and I'm a fucking man. However, the fact that they subscribe to Telus TV is going to introduce some serious conflicts very soon. Most concerning is that Telus TV does not carry AMC, and therefore I cannot watch first-run episodes of the new season of Mad Men. I am troubled by this, but I will find a way to circumvent my impending issue of contention. I suppose I could wait for it on DVD, but that's a stupid idea. How dare you even suggest that?

Since I've been thinking about Mad Men, and waiting for the new season, I've been watching previous episodes while frothing at the mouth and obtaining pleasure of the mind. If you've never watched the show, there's one thing that stands out right from second one: the opening credits. Opening credits don't just tell you who the actors are or who produced the show, they should set the tone, theme and style of the show. They serve the ultimate purpose: the credits should give you an idea on whether the show is amazing, mediocre, or fucking terrible. (anyone who remembers the opening credits for Full House or Dawson's Creek knows what I'm talking about).

Here are eleven of my favourite opening credit sequences that are the epitome of cool. Popsicle-Pete Double-Treat cool. Once you've seen their intro, you know that these shows are just going to kick serious ass. Times ten.



11. BAND OF BROTHERS

One of the best HBO series of all time has one of the best openings, which is hauntingly beautiful and striking. The images and score truly capture the style and quality of the show. Also, guns are cool.



10. LOST

Alright, this intro freaks me out. It's the shortest by far, but damn if it isn't effective. It sets a mood rife with disorientation, mystery and suspense, just as the show does (in its better seasons).



9. HAWAII FIVE-O

There was a time when a theme song made a TV show. As much as you want to argue that The Rembrandts' "I'll Be There For You" made Friends, it didn't. That song sucks, and Friends sucked. Hawaii Five-O on the other hand, is so damn sexy, I bet you got pregnant just making eye contact with Jack Lord.



8. KNIGHT RIDER

"A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist". That is fucking awesome! This was when David Hasselfhoff was the man, and not some McDonald's eating drunk. There were the usual 80's cheese in this show, but can you honestly say that the intro bass line doesn't bleed cool with every note?



7. THE X-FILES

Let me run down the awesomess for you: lots of creepy visuals, pre-sex obsessed David Duchovny, hot Gillian Anderson, UFO stuff, more creepy visuals, FBI things, conspiracies... All adds up to a fantastic show (that sadly lost its way a bit with the alien plot lines) with a fantastically moody opening.




If there was any intro that instantly made you think "Yes! If I try to jump from my sixth story apartment to the building next door, miss, and die after splattering my carcass across the pavement below, I can be brought back as a superhuman! We have the technology."





5 (tie). TWILIGHT ZONE AND THE OUTER LIMITS

Nobody did plot twists like these two shows, and their original intros set the standard for intros that make you uncomfortable, yet engaged. Though each series began airing in the late fifties and early sixties respectively, the mood and style are second to none. I'm creeped out while watching them, but I can't look away. Kind of like little people.



3. THE A-TEAM

The A-Team was a favourite show of mine as a kid, and the opening sequence is a thing of beauty. You want violence? You got it. You want an awesome back story about a rogue military outfit? You've got that, too. You want Mr. T giving you the most bad-ass look while in a car? You've got your cream-jeans on now.



2. MAD MEN

This is the best opening sequence on TV today. It's as sexy as ten young Elizabeth Taylors, and as cool as twenty Billy Dee Williams' (any age). The style of the 60's combined with the sense of losing control is played very effectively. It makes me dream of a simpler time of political incorrectness and drinking at work.



1. CAPTAIN POWER AND THE SOLDIERS OF THE FUTURE.

Before Terminator and The Matrix, there was Captain Power. Set in a world where man fought machine, and machine won (unsurprisingly - humans suck), this show was the best live-action show on Saturday morning. With special toy guns that interacted with the show, kids like me truly believed they were in a dystopic future. The intro has everything kids (like me) and adults (also me) want: violence, destruction and shiny costumes.

Any opening sequence I forgot? And don't say Dexter. I haven't watched it enough to blow my mind on its intro.

4 comments:

Gordon said...

I won't say Dexter, but I'll highly recommend it.

Missing from your list: Arrested Development. "Now the story of a wealthy family who lost everything, and the one son who had no choice, but to keep them all together." *Ukelele* "It's Arrested Development".
The intro is minimal, but fantastic. I know it's great, because every time I re-watch an episode, I watch the intro instead of skipping it, as I do with some other shows (I'm looking at you 30Rock).

Also Missing:
Ch-Ch-Ch-Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers
Gummy Bears
Duck Tails

Scott said...

I'd like to see a list of the Top 10 Worst Opening Credits

TylerD said...

Gordon - I know, I watch the AD opening almost every time as well. However, for this post, I wanted to focus on intros that really make you sit up and notice. AD's is playful, minimilistic and fits in well, but it never makes me go "Shit! That was awesome!". As for animated shows, that's for another post perhaps.

Scott - That could be my next post, actually.

MDAWG said...

TBONE - I'm glad to see LOST made this list. The opening makes my hair stand on end. It's also nice that it's so short and doesn't take too much time away form the actual episode.
I actually am super-glad to see LOST on this list. I love LOST! I miss new episodes and can't wait for the new season. Any vague reference to LOST makes my hair stand on end.
That's two references to my hair standing on end. Maybe I need new shampoo...