Monday, December 10, 2007

I Squeal Like A Little Girl

Yeah, I pretty much found that out after seeing this trailer. And I don't care who looked at me weird (or disgusted) in my office. They don't know how long I've been waiting for not only a look at this film, but any footage at all of a live action Speed Racer film. The trailer has some extra fantastic sauce poured all over it, and I'm all a-tingle with anticipation. Although, doesn't some of the CGI look a little like the games Wipeout and F-Zero, or Fluke's Atom Bomb video? (and yes, I know that Fluke's video contained Wipeout footage, because it was included on the W 2097 game's soundtrack).

I'll level with you. Some fond memories of my youth (i.e., 5 or 6 years ago) involved spending a few precious early-morning hours watching countless hours of Speed Racer on the TV. Not the 90's recreation mind you, but the original 1960's series. It was the best treat one could get at 3 am on a weekday, besides perhaps some drunken Chicago deep dish pizza. The animation was spotty and rather shoddy, even for 60's Japan, but hey, they had been nuked. Give them a break.

Come May 8, 2008, you will see me tear apart at the seams of sanity, waiting for the arrival of this piece of wondrous celluloid. The fact that the Wachowski Brothers are involved simply makes that tearing as easy as a knife through hot butter.

I mean, look at how awesome the 60's version was! A film adaptation of a sweet 60's anime only makes a good thing one million times fucking better. Except for The Flintstones. Those films were god awful. Viva Rock Vegas my ass.


No comments: