Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Death From Above 1979...Dead

Damn it all.

For some reason, I'm not allowed to like something, and have it last. I'm not allowed to have nice things.

When Death From Above 1979 broke out in 2002 with their EP Heads Up, they were unknown to me, and pretty much everyone else outside of Montreal's sweaty dance-punk scene. However, with 2004's You're A Woman, I'm A Machine, they fast became one of my favourite bands, adorned many top album lists from that year, and it all culminated in a tour spot with Queens Of The Stone Age and Nine Inch Nails. They had a raw, electric energy that most bands only dreamed of, but don't even come close, even if they had a magical rock machine. DFA 1979 consisted of two musical visionaries, two regal knights of the rock table. With Sebastien Grainger exploding the vocals and drums, and Jesse F. Keeler rocking bass, vocoder and other percussion, they were a force to be reckoned with for many moons to come.

Or so I thought.

With a website post on Friday, Jesse officially laid some rumours to rest and declared DFA 1979 expired. I must give my utmost thanks to the gents for providing me with a sonic revolution, an auditory delight that I will be honoured to pass along to the uninitiated. To Jesse, best of luck with MSTRKFT and doing the drum work on the new QOTSA album. To Sebastien, best of luck with whatever you're up to. I hope you're not still dating Kelly Osbourne, right? RIGHT?

And now, we rock:



No comments: